Saturday, July 20, 2002

Wow. I just got home from a post mission team meeting. I feel sad.
For the last 6 months, my team and I have have been preparing for our mission trip to Costa Rica. The team consists of myself, 3 other girls, and 4 guys. We are all very different people, with different backgrounds,and different temperments, united together as children of Christ. What a thing to have in common... all of us, spaning in age from 18-32 working together to bring others to the saving grace we know as Jesus Christ. Our trip was filled with laughter, fun, challenges, faced fears, rain, thunder, and beauty. We have been home for less than 2 weeks, and I am still consumed with vivid memories that cloud the corners of my mind. I want to be back there...

Just looking at everyones pictures, I am reminded of the tranquility, and peace that is Costa Rica. I wish that everyone could experience what I did...

We departed from our church in the evening on Tuesday, June 26th. We drove to the airport, giddy with anticipation. We each had all of our bags fully emptied, a guard carefully inspecting each article of clothing for traces of gun powder, or a bomb... Welcome to the USA, post 9/11.... Really, it was not so bad, atleast I know that they check everyone... it really is a comfort, though I hate to admit it... We flew all night. We had layovers in Los Angeles, and then after a very turbulent entrance, in Houston, TX. Finally at 9am Wednesday morning, we left for Costa Rica. Believe me, it was well worth the wait! As we flew over the lush green mountains that define Costa Rica, I knew I was in paradise.

Our first night was wonderful. We stayed with a missionary couple who run an outreach camp, just outside of San Ramon. They had a beautiful home, and we were welcomed with open arms. They were probably the coolest couple I have ever met. If the Lord ever blesses me with a husband, I pray I will have a marriage like theirs. I was inspired by their hospitality, patience, and reverence for the Lord. Needless to say, staying in their home was an awesome experience.
The next day we spent in the city. Two of the camp interns took us around San Jose, where we shopped, visited museums, and even ate McDonalds! It was so much fun to be able to see a glimpse of the Costa Rican culture. That evening we took the 2 hour drive up to the camp. I normally hate driving on those curvy roads, but I had no problems that time. I couldn't take my eyes of the beauty all around us...
The next few days we spent preparing for the campers to come. We cleaned up the camp, washed windows, swept the gym floor, and some raked the rainforest, in the rain mind you... But all our tasks were completed with joy. We were so excited to be a part of the camp experience- to see God work. We also spent our time becoming more familiar with the camp. We braved the ropes challenge course, some tried the climbing wall, and others of us attemped to renew our mad basketball skills... Yeah right, no skills here. But is was cool, I have a pretty nice air ball!

I was toatlly giddy the day the campers came. We were reunited with some of the staff, that we had met earlier in our trip. We also met 50 junior high aged kids, who we were commissioned to love on for the next week. We divided up into our cabins, and set out- each of our team members seperated- for the time of our lives!

We spent the next 5 days getting muddy, dirty, and sweaty. We took pictures, developed friendships that will last forever, and had our patience tested. We sang in spanish at worship, danced at night in the rain, and sat in silence, remembering the God who created us. We rollerbladed till all hours of the night, prayed with kids as who accepted Christ for the first time, and learned how to salsa. We laughed, we cried, we scratched (talk about some crazy bug bites)... I had the most amazing week of my life! And then they all went home. It was awesome to know, however, that even if I never see those kids on earth again, I will spend eternity at the feet of God with them, praising the Lord!

And so began our last few days in Costa Rica.... Remembering the awesome work the Lord had done, I was totally amazed. I had so much fun, but I missed my new friends. And I knew that in a few days I would be on an airplane home. (By the way, fly Continental!) We again cleaned the camp. We spent time in prayer. And then, on Monday afternoon, we left the camp.I actually cried. Not a whole lot, but enough. I made a vow to myself that I would someday return. And I will. Someday. We spent that night at a hotel across the street from the airport. The next morning, after a brief team meeting, and a super scandalous Enrique Iglesias music video, we flew home. And so ended my time in Costa Rica. But, so began a new page in my life. A new page from a book with no title; and I hold the pen... Heavenly Father, please be my teacher. Tell me what it is you desire for me to write. And I promise, I will do my best...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home