Sunday, October 13, 2002

It is already the middle of October. In the blink of an eye, it will be November. Soon I will be taking the trip up to Apple Hill to buy a few boxes of apples. I'll get out the huge black stock pot my mom has used for years. I'll make apple pies, apple sauce and apple butter. The thoughts alone bring back so many memories. I can almost smell the sweet aroma of hot slices of apples with sugar and cinnamon dripping off of them. I remember how my mother and her best friend used to bake and can together every year. They would load all 5 kids into the van, and we would spend all day at Apple Hill. We'd sample cider, and beg for fresh carmel apples. I can still remeber the tingling of the crisp, cool air on my face. Once we arrived back at our house, all the kids would disburse. Except for me. I loved to sit at the table and watch. If I was lucky, I was allowed to help. I was after all, the oldest child there....
It has been many years since our families spent that time together. So much has changed. We no longer spend every Thanksgiving together- at their home in Santa Rosa. Shortly after my father died, they moved to Colorado. Not long after that, their oldest daughter- my brothers best friend, and first kiss, died from an undetected illness. It broke our hearts, but her family found comfort in knowing that Melissa was home, with her heavenly father, and 'other' dad. We have since been to visit many times. My mom actually tried to get US to move there too. But we are still here. And each fall I think of them, my other family. I miss our times together. I miss Mike and my dad making fun of Kati's annual Thanksgiving Jello dish- which they affectionately called 'rug foam'.
What I wouldn't give for a taste of it this year. This year. This year will be strange. I am traveling to Apple Hill alone. I will be baking alone. I will be canning homemade apple sauce alone. And I will remember the past. I will be sad that it's over, but thankful for the memories.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home